At the iMSMS, geographic barriers are overcome by frequent teleconferences and periodic in-person meetings. All individuals chosen for this collaborative project are highly collegial and have demonstrated a capacity to work productively in a team setting.
To ensure an effective and successful collaboration, the following principles have been adopted:
- An overarching Charter has been agreed by all participants that adheres to the expectations of membership in the iMSMS.
- A small Governance Group has been established to provide leadership and overall scientific direction, and to resolve areas of uncertainty.
- Smaller working groups oversee and execute specific aims of the program.
- To ensure transparency, participating investigators share individual ideas for research projects with the entire group.
- Reasonable efforts are made to make public all primary data as quickly as possible.
- Primary publications are typically authored in the name of the iMSMS rather than by individuals.
- Efforts are made to ensure that junior members of the group have the opportunity to lead major projects.
- We invite other qualified investigators with an interest in participating in the iMSMS to contact us.
Monthly conference calls and bi-annual in-person meetings are scheduled for all members of the iMSMS. Individual working groups organize additional conference calls and report their progress to the entire group during the monthly calls.